NAT/DIVERT Issues in 5.2.1 Release

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 20:37:54 PDT 2004

There is no issue I know of. FBSD-5.2.1-R-p9 works nicely as a NAT
gateway at my location. However the information you have provided is
too little for getting hold of the problem. We could try to figure
something out but we need some more informations, like how set it up,
firewall rules, etc.

Regards
S.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:57:44 -0600, Denis Lemire <dlemire at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just completed a frustrating day of attempting to get nat working
> on 5.2.1 RELEASE. I've very familiar with using FreeBSD as a nat
> enabled Internet gateway, I have set this up on many machines with
> prior versions.
>
> I've compiled my kernel with the ip divert and firewall options
> needed. I have enabled the firewall and natd in my rc.conf, and have
> (for now) set firewall type to open and gateway_enable="yes".
>
> The setup simply won't work, the appropriate rules are in the
> firewall, and the natd daemon is running. The main thing I find that
> doesn't make sense is running "ipfw -a l" lists the divert rule but
> its values are zeroed out such that it has been used.
>
> Is there an issue with nat on 5.2.1-RELEASE? I've even tried compiling
> a kernel from cvsup (5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 I believe).
>
> Any suggestions on where I might have messed this up would be excellent.

Subhro Sankha Kar
School of Information Technology
Block AQ-13/1 Sector V
ZIP 700091