How to update perl on FreeBSD 4.9R

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Oct 8 12:23:37 PDT 2004

--On Friday, October 08, 2004 02:40:06 PM -0400 Danny <nocmonkey at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Whatever is easiest; I do not feel like rebuilding the src, but I
> don't know if I need to.
>
> I am trying to install a perl CPAN module:
>
> mx1# perl Makefile.PL
> Perl 5.006 required--this is only version 5.00503, stopped at
> Makefile.PL line 3.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 3.
> mx1#
>
> All I know is that I need to update to a newer version.
>
>> It might be helpful if you described what you're trying to accomplish.
>
> To update to a newer version of Perl, so that I can install this
> date:calc CPAN module.

Then I would recommend that you install the ports version of perl -
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/

When you finish, you need to run use.perl port (read pkg-message), and
you'll have to rebuild any ports you've already built that use perl since
you will have changed the default perl installation.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member