erase2 ( xterm

Vance Shipley vances at motivity.ca
Tue Nov 30 15:09:14 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 04:55:49PM -0600, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
}
}  However, his statement "functioning as a backspace" doesn't
}  ring true, because, no such functionality is present (for me) in
}  any terminal with that key, regardless of the $TERM variable.
}
}  Terminal emulation is a little bit mysterious to me; maybe someone
}  with more expertise can answer the larger question.  I'm just curious
}  whether pushing the {right parenthesis} character on Vance's
}  keyboard actually does backspace, and whether he's on the console,
}  on X, using PuTTY from a Winboxen, etc., and/or what terminal emulator
}  he's actually using, what version he's running, whether his termcap
}  symlink or file is corrupt/missing, etc., etc., blah, blah....
}
}  Vance?

No, from the console everything is fine.  It is when I use sh within an
xterm or wterm that I have a problem.  Using csh there is no problem.
Pressing the ( key erases the character before the cursor when using sh
within an xterm.

This is 5.3-STABLE.  I found a few references by googling from others
who have had the same problem and have also had to put a 'stty erase2 ^H'
in .shrc (or whatever).

	-Vance