erase2 ( xterm

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Nov 30 15:41:13 PST 2004

Vance Shipley wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 04:55:49PM -0600, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
>}
>}  However, his statement "functioning as a backspace" doesn't
>}  ring true, because, no such functionality is present (for me) in
>}  any terminal with that key, regardless of the $TERM variable.
>}
>}  Terminal emulation is a little bit mysterious to me; maybe someone
>}  with more expertise can answer the larger question.  I'm just curious
>}  whether pushing the {right parenthesis} character on Vance's
>}  keyboard actually does backspace, and whether he's on the console,
>}  on X, using PuTTY from a Winboxen, etc., and/or what terminal emulator
>}  he's actually using, what version he's running, whether his termcap
>}  symlink or file is corrupt/missing, etc., etc., blah, blah....
>}
>}  Vance?
>

>No, from the console everything is fine.  It is when I use sh within an
>xterm or wterm that I have a problem.  Using csh there is no problem.
>Pressing the ( key erases the character before the cursor when using sh
>within an xterm.
>
>This is 5.3-STABLE.  I found a few references by googling from others
>who have had the same problem and have also had to put a 'stty erase2 ^H'
>in .shrc (or whatever).
>
>	-Vance

OK, check your ~ directory for TERM settings in either .shrc or
.profile, might be setting something a little different.  If you're
using sh as your login shell, one or the other of those files is
getting read, (I'm a tad lazy to RTFM ATM to figure which one
is *first*), and its possible that it is being set there (the default
.profile, for example, sets $TERM to "cons25".  Surely
you could fix the problem there, if that is what is actually
happening.  Whatever it is, hope it's easy :-D

Good luck,

KDK