Custom Kernel

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sun Nov 28 00:09:57 PST 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 11:49 pm, Rem Roberti <remegius at comcast.net>
wrote:
>    Joshua Tinnin wrote:
>
> On Saturday 27 November 2004 11:27 pm, Rem Roberti
> [1]<remegius at comcast.net> wrote:
>

> I sent this message to Joshua back channel, and realized that I should
> have also sent it to the group.
>
> Rem

> Thanks, Joshua. Here's the requested stuff, starting with the output of
> uname -a:
>
> <snip>
>
> Next, the configuration file itself:
>
> #
> # GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386
>
> <snip>
>
> # PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
> # NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these
> NICs!
> #device miibus # MII bus support
> ^^^^
>
> <snip>
>
> device vr # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
>
> <snip>
>
> Finally, the error message:
>
> <snip>
>
> ../../../dev/usb/if_aue.c:105:23: miibus_if.h: No such file or directory
>

> OK, you need to uncomment the device miibus line (marked above). It has to
> be enabled if you want to enable VIA Rhine support, which you have in your
> config.
>
> - jt
>

>    No dice.  I made the change to the file, uncommenting the device
>    miibus line, and I receive the same error message.
>    Rem

Hmmm ... well, what, exactly, are you typing when you build the kernel? Also,
are you sure you changed the correct config file (for instance, in the
handbook it instructs you how to make a symbolic link to a file in another
location)? If you made a symbolic link and have your original file somewhere
else, does ls -l /usr/src/sys/i386/conf show the link going to the correct
file? I know these might sound like silly questions, but I'm not at all sure
what could be causing this otherwise.

- jt