GEOM vs. vinum in FreeBSD 5.3

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 24 16:02:50 PST 2004

On Wednesday, 24 November 2004 at 15:10:47 +0800, Rene C. Mendoza wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm supposed to mirror 2 similar disk drives using FreeBSD 5.3  The
> thing  is, I am confused which utility to use: vinum, gvinum, or geom.
> As I understand it, geom is still fairly new but very promising.

GEOM is completely different from Vinum and gvinum.

> Vinum, on the other hand, seems to be stable but not as extensible
> as geom.

They're not related.

> Gvinum seems to be mixture of the two.

No, gvinum is the GEOM-aware version of Vinum and will replace it when
it is complete.

> Personally, I would like to try out gvinum or geom but I don't know
> if these two would be suitable for production environments.  Now, my
> questions are:
>
> 1. Is gvinum mature enough for production environments?

No, I don't think so.

> 2. Is geom mature enough for production environments?

Probably.

> 3. Which among the three, vinum, gvinum or geom should you
>    recommend?

They're not a choice.  5.3 uses GEOM, and you can't get past that.
You have the choice of using Vinum (old, stable, but not updated for
GEOM, so of only limited use) or gvinum (new, incomplete, will
eventually replace Vinum).  I wouldn't want to make the choice.  Read
the release notes.

Greg