Should I use Xorg or XFree86 for XServer?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Mon Nov 22 15:05:58 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 05:57:21PM -0500, Doug Van Allen wrote:
> I'm going to install 5.3, but I now understand that sysinstall does
> not handle in install of XServer.  It is a post-install duty.  I don't
> know which is the better one to install-Xorg or XFree86??  Reading
> some vague posts about this it seemed that people were using Xorg.

For the time being there is not much difference between them, so you
can use whichever one you want.  If you are going to install other
programs as packages (as opposed to compiling via ports) I would
recommend Xorg, since this is the default for 5.3 and all pre-built
packages will depend on Xorg.
(And if you use XFree86 you will have to set X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xfree86-4
in /etc/make.conf.)

(And if you were to run 4.10 all the above would still apply, except
that you would have to change all references to Xorg to XFree86 and
vice versa.)

In short: For 5.3 Xorg is recommended and for 4.10 XFree86 is
recommended.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson