Should I use Xorg or XFree86 for XServer?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Mon Nov 22 15:13:36 PST 2004

On 11/22/04 05:57 PM, Doug Van Allen sat at the `puter and typed:
> I'm going to install 5.3, but I now understand that sysinstall does
> not handle in install of XServer.  It is a post-install duty.  I don't
> know which is the better one to install-Xorg or XFree86??  Reading
> some vague posts about this it seemed that people were using Xorg.

In addition to Erik's comments, sysinstall *does* handle the install
of Xorg, so I'd highly recommend going with that.  I didn't even think
about installing XFree86, so I don't actually remember if it gives you
a choice when you tell it to install the X server.

X.org is every bit as smooth as XFree86 - no reason it shouldn't be
since it's branched from the same codebase, and from everything I
hear, it'll be much easier going forward if you move to Xorg now.

HTH

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

The speed of anything depends on the flow of everything.