postfix launch at system startup

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Thu Nov 18 12:39:19 PST 2004

On 11/18/04 08:33 PM, Kjell Midtseter sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Thursday, 18 November 2004 at 10:08:51 -0600, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 November 2004 09:46 am, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > > On 11/18/04 03:31 PM, Kjell Midtseter sat at the `puter and typed:
> > >
> > > I answered yes.  Always do.
> > >
> > > Lou
> >
> > Answering yes results in changes /etc/mail/mailer.conf so that calls to
> > certain email executables will be mapped to postfix rather than
> > sendmail.  I am (fairly) certain that it does _not_ make the necessary
> > changes to ensure that:
> >
> > 1) sendmail is not started at bootup
> > 2) postfix is started at bootup
> > 3) sendmail is not compiled during the next "make buildworld"
>
> I agree. But according to this part that has been 'snipper out'
> > At install, I specified postfix as the mta, and had it configured in
> > /etc/mail/mailer.conf.  The /stand/sysinstall shell also added the
> > following to /etc/rc.conf:
> The three points should have been taken care of then
> Kjell

The following is from /usr/ports/mail/postfix/pkg-message:
--------------------------------
If you have postfix configured in your /etc/mail/mailer.conf (answered
yes to the previous question) and would like to enable postfix to start
at boot time, please set these variables in your /etc/rc.conf file:

sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_flags="-bd"
sendmail_pidfile="/var/spool/postfix/pid/master.pid"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

This will disable Sendmail completely.

Alternatively to the above settings, you can enable postfix to start
with the other local services, for example, after your database server
starts if you need it to be running for postfix.  To do this, set in
your rc.conf file:

sendmail_enable="NONE"

Then make the following symbolic link:

cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
ln -s /usr/local/sbin/postfix postfix.sh
--------------------------------

Now, when I installed postfix at boot, it implemented the first version,
including the periodic.conf changes not included in this snippet.  The
startup did not go as planned.  I don't know why, I haven't studied the
system startup process in 5.3.

I was told by someone with much more experience with postfix that the
second option is much more reliable, and should be preferred over the
first.  It certainly works in my case, but as always, YMMV.

One thing of note, I did rebuild world without the noted make.conf
entry, so maybe that overwrote the previously working postfix wrapper
links with working sendmail stuff?
Who knows?  Either way, I have it working now.

Thanks all.
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Satellite Safety Tip #14:
  If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.