best hardware for SATA on 5.3

Feczak Szabolcs feczo at geek.hu
Sat Nov 13 01:11:17 GMT 2004

I have an Abit NF7 board and I have purchased 2 SATA
hard disk, and extended the board with an STLab card
wich uses the Sil 3112A chip. This card has an OTP
EPROM, so bios version 4.2.12 is not updateable.

I have TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA errors during drive access.
I have read in the archives that this controller is a
piece of crap, so I have decided to get rid of it and
buy another pci extension card or another motherboard,
which has onboard sata ports.

Looks like another motherboard is a better choice,
since I need 2 ports and a these kind of SATA IO cards
are nearly in the same pricerange as a completly
new motherboard.

I thought about Asus
A7V600, but I also read that someone had problems with
the onboard VIA 8237 SATA150 controller as well on 5.2.1

So my question is: What should I buy to be sure that I
will not run into problems but smoothly use my two SATA
hard drive on 5.3 Release or Stable ?