mouse problem

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Mon Nov 8 17:51:56 PST 2004

This is a near copy of another post to FReeBSD-amd64 .. I wasn't sure if
there was anything dealing with my mouse problem that was really amd64
specific (it seemed not, but you can't really tell) so I'm going to
re-describe my problem, anmd I apologize if it['s possible that the same
post (or nearly so) shows up twice).

I can't get the mouse cursor to show up on text, and on X11, i can't get
it to accept any movement command (in X11 it just sits there).  I have
been using a USB radio-linked Logitech trackball, and usbdevs shows the
usb device just fine.  During the insstall of this machine (last week,
I've been really patient trying to get this fixed) I used the 5.3RC1
image, I have the kernel from there, I haven't recopmpiled anything yet.
The -m on option to vidcontrol doesn't seem to show the cursor either.

I sure would appreciate any help at all .. the machine is on-net,
actually, so if you wanted to poke around a little bit, that might be ok.

BTW, bug (I think) in the install docuemntation ... you have 4 disks (4
cd's), but the instructions seem to think that there is only one cd, there
is no care taken to refer to any specific cd image, as if it should be
really obvious ... it wasn't, at least not to me.  That's not a
complaint,t he install managted to go off very cleanly anyhow.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).