5.3 release and mysql

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Nov 8 14:03:41 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 01:45:10PM -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> Just installed 5.3 release, and attempted to install mysql40-server
> from the ports.
>
> while compiling mysql I got the following error:
> item_strfunc.h:542: internal compiler error:segmentation fault
>
> not sure what to do or who to turn to with this. This makes me
> want to stay with 4.10 :-(
>
> what is the appropriate avenue to investigate this?

Well, this is sometimes caused by trying to compile things with
absurdly high optimizations.  You omitted too much context from the
error to decide about that though.

The most common cause of random application crashes is bad hardware
(CPU cooling, RAM, power supply, etc).  If the error does not
repeatedly occur at the same place, this is almost certainly what's
going on.

If it's happening at the same place each time, it might be a real bug
in gcc; the rest of the error from gcc told you how to report it to
the gcc team.

However, the mysql40-server port compiled fine when built on a default
5.3 system, so I'd look for the problem closer to home.

Kris