question: how do I burn a UFS filesystem onto a CDROM

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Nov 4 14:11:12 PST 2004

Murray Taylor <murraytaylor at bytecraftsystems.com> writes:

> I wish to burn a CDROM that I can mount and show
> people that "yes there really is readable data on it"
> BUT I dont want it to be readable in a windows host.
>
> So I am thinking that instead of the usual mkisofs routine that
> makes a  cd9660  filestructure I would just burn a CDROM with
> the data in a UFS structure...
>
> NB the actual cd burner is in a winblows laptop so I am
> also thinking that I need to create an .iso image somehow
> that I can burn in one pass on the burner pc, even though the
> disk will not be accessible to that host once burnt.
>
> The question is : how ?
>
> I'm guessing that a way may be to create a vnode file system,
> copy the data to it and then somehow make it into a burnable
> disk image, but thats where the guessing runs out.....

That's just about right.  The trick is that if you use a file-backed
vn(4) device to build your UFS disk image, the backing file *is* the
image that you want to burn to cdrom.  [It's not an ISO file -- by
definition, "ISO" files are ISO9660 format.]

I was meaning to try it to give an exact recipe, but I haven't gotten
around to it yet.