wine

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Thu May 13 05:30:15 PDT 2004

> Problem is not quality of fbsd. Problem is that you have to emulate
> proprietary Windoz (with proprietary DirectX) to run games, because
> that game wasnt released for *nix. This is about number of
> installations and about attitude of game developers. And to be honest,
> would you develop some game for fbsd/linux if u know there will be
> maybe 10k copies sold ?
> Fortunately I'm playing Enemy Territory now and it is available under
> FreeBSD :-).

Enemy territory runs with linux "emulation" on freebsd.  Its certainly
not ported to freebsd.  I've tried it on 5 current and compared the
results to running in linux and windows.  There is a definite
performance gap in freebsd.  I assume its because there is no native
binary.  The linux version under redhat 9 gives me a better framerate
than any other os.  Its a shame we can't get native games for freebsd.
Of course, i am happy with linux ports.

A fault of the open source community is not encouraging companies to
use open source game frameworks.  It would make ports to non windows
platforms easier.  I actually run three operating systems at home
FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Windows XP.  The lack of porting effects me on
my mac and pc.  Sadly, UNIX/Linux users and Mac users rarely work
together on these issues even though they effect both groups.  Think
about it, blizzard games are ported to Mac OS but not linux or unix.
Enemy territory was ported to linux but not mac os.  I've even heard
rumors that Doom 3 won't be ported to anything... just windows builds.
:(

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com