wine

Pavel Duda element at email.cz
Thu May 13 02:47:16 PDT 2004

Radu MOLNAR wrote:

> I believe that this is where the opensource comunity in general looses to
> windows. I dont know about you guys but computer games is how i got in
> touch with IT and i see that is still hapening with kids nowadays.
> The only reason i still install windows on my desktop is to
> play games. I would gladly give up the microsoft products and most of my
> friends would do so too if it wasn't for the reason mentioned above.
>
> You may say that games are not important but i must disagree. How can one
> claim to make an OS for workstations if you can not play games in that OS.
> Games are the peak of multimedia aplications. Just take a look at the
> slashdot.org site and you will see that every day the GAMES section has
> the most new news.
>
> If we want an alternative to windows (we wants it) than maybe we should
> concentrate our energies on making a desktop. But these are just the
> rambling words of a guy that is frustrated of having to use microsoft
> operating systems, having to pay a lot of money for them and then getting
> the quality that we all know.
> whatever

Problem is not quality of fbsd. Problem is that you have to emulate
proprietary Windoz (with proprietary DirectX) to run games, because that
game wasnt released for *nix. This is about number of installations and
about attitude of game developers. And to be honest, would you develop
some game for fbsd/linux if u know there will be maybe 10k copies sold ?
Fortunately I'm playing Enemy Territory now and it is available under
FreeBSD :-).