UFS mounted on linux

Niraj Kumar niraj17 at iitbombay.org
Wed Mar 31 22:37:20 PST 2004

Rahul Sawarkar wrote:

> Hello
> I have a freebsd ufs partition, that I access from linux using the
> following command:
>
> mount /dev/hda2 /mnt -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd

This is fine for 4.x series .
However , FreeBSD 5.x uses ufs2 by default . For mounting ufs2 , look at
these patches :

http://ufs-linux.sourceforge.net

> Funnie: All the files and directories created by the /stand/sysinstall
> or the freeBSD
> install CD are visible. But the recent files I downloaded from the
> net, or any file
> created while booted in FreeBSD using "touch filename" for instance
> are not to be seen in
> Linux.
>
> Moving or copying files has no effect.Changing attributes using
> chflags "noopaque" has no effect.
>
> Any tips ?

Correct me if I am wrong , but linux's ufs implementation is not very
robust . Besides , there are no
good tools for ufs fs on linux.  That is why I have started this work
(link above).

Regards
Niraj