change in semantics of socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0)?

Dale Hagglund rdh at yottayotta.com
Mon Mar 8 23:39:22 PST 2004

Dale Hagglund <rdh at yottayotta.com> writes:

> I upgraded from 4.8 to 4.9 and my install of net/vnc couldn't connect
> to a remote server any more.  The connection is via an ssh tunnel, but
> I don't think that's relevant.

Famous last words.

ssh binds its tunnel port explicitly to 127.0.0.1.  vncviewer, when
given an empty host name, uses an ipaddress of 0.0.0.0 which doesn't
match this.  Running vncviewer as

        $ vncviewer localhost:1

instead of

        $ vncviewer :1

works fine.

This could be considered a bug in vncviewer, although I'm not really
sure of that.

The only (very minor) remining issue is that the ip(4) man page seems
to be incorrect: _proto_ of zero does not give a raw socket.  I
downloaded vncviewer source, and then changed the socket calls to
explicitly use IPPROTO_TCP, and the behaviour was the same.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dale.