SIngle User Mode Help

Joe Pokupec joepok at ninestar.com
Fri Mar 5 00:48:26 PST 2004

Hey Guys,

I'm constantly botching up my fstab file and the system will fail to boot
correctly. I've learned to create a working fstab and call is fstab.orig
which I can overwrite the botched file if I end up in Single User Mode...

I can't find any info on Single User Mode to help me:

- I use mount -u / to mount the filesystem as read/write

- I cannot access any editors like vi or pico (my personal) favorite once in
single user mode... Why?

- I can't use the locate command, because the /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
script is not accessible

- I can't su because this is not a recognized command

Can anyone shed any light on how I can actually edit (preferably using pico)
my fstab file once I'm in "botch" mode?

Thanks

Joe