Weird processes after upgrading to apache2

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 09:32:44 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 10:38:32AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2004-06-13T09:16:25Z, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I suspect it's mod_perl causing the weirdness.  Plain apache-2.0.49 works
> > perfectly well for me serving up static html and some php.
> >
> > mod_perl is unusual though in that it has such a complete interface to the
> > apache API.  I don't doubt that you can cause any of the effects you've
> > seen with unsuitably written perl code.  Serious debugging time required.
>
> I temporarily disabled mod_perl and the "problems" went away as expected.
> I'm kind of surprised that I never saw these problems with the same web
> application (TWiki) and mod_perl on Apache 1, but it seems to be unique to
> my Apache 2 installation.  Weird.  Anyway, the server is question has enough
> muscle to serve TWiki pages quickly, so I may semi-permanently ditch
> mod_perl.

Well, the apache API and hence mod_perl are significantly different
between apache 1.x and apache 2.x -- you will need to modify perl code
written as Apache PerlHandlers if you want them to work with
mod_perl2.0.  mod_perl for apache 2.x is still at the pre-release
stage.  CGI.pm/Apache::Registry stuff should be compatible, but as
ever in computing things that should be generally aren't.

If you can get your hands on "Practical mod_perl" by Bekman and Cholet
(O'Reilly -- http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pmodperl/) there's two
whole chapters about the differences between mod_perl and mod_perl2.0

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way