AWSTATS Error & Resolution

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 03:55:59 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 03:35:36PM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> After upgrading perl from 5.8.2 to 5.8.4, following the instructions in
> /usr/ports/UPDATING, I found awstats-6.0_1 no longer worked.  I ran
> awstats.pl interactively and received the following error:
>
> Bizarre copy of ARRAY in aassign at /path/to/awstats.pl line 8707
>
> After some checking, I found this issue was fixed in awstats.pl revision
> 1.747.  I downloaded the most current revision (1.755) and replaced the
> revision that's included with the port.  This seems to solve the
> problem.  YMMV.
>
> Is it appropriate to send a problem report about this?  I've never sent
> one so I want to be sure before bugging someone.
>
> Hopefully this post will save others from having to research and resolve
> this issue.

You aren't the only one to notice this: it's being discussed over on
freebsd-ports at ... at the moment.  See the thread that starts with:

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-June/013104.html

which generally means a fix will soon be forthcoming.

Generally in these sort of cases your first point of contact should be
the port's maintainer.  Find that by:

    % cd /usr/ports/www/awstats
    % make -V MAINTAINER

Now just sending an e-mail to the maintainer usually suffices, and
most maintainers will be happy to fix things and help you out
generally.

However, if the maintainer has an @FreeBSD.org address (including
various mailing list addresses like x11 at FreeBSD.org, perl at FreeBSD.org,
ports at FreeBSD.org) then you can use send-pr(1) to send in a bug report
- preferably including a fix. If the port is unmaintained
(ie. maintainer is ports at FreeBSD.org) then you may well get asked to
become the maintainer...  Also use send-pr(1) if e-mail to the
maintainer bounces or you get no reply after a reasonable time
(ie. two weeks) -- mention the problem in the PR you send.  See

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-maintainer.html

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way