5.1 -> 5.2 disaster

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Jan 29 17:25:58 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:16:22PM -0600, Michael Clark wrote:
> Assuming that happened somehow, which is hard to believe because I scripted
> the process and have upgraded this machine before

It's exactly what happened; this user error is reported quite a lot
(and I've run into it myself when I have tried to be too clever).  You
*must* follow the upgrading directions listed in the handbook and
UPDATING *precisely*, or you *will* eventually encounter this type of
error.  Just because you can get away with skipping steps sometimes,
does not mean that you'll be that lucky every time.

, what can be done to fix
> it?  Am I on the correct track with using a CD upgrade?

A CD upgrade or reinstall should fix it for you.

Kris