alternative for CUPS spooler

Peter Ulrich Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Wed Jan 28 03:30:11 PST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Ksenia Marasanova wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> After view hours trying to get my printer running with CUPS, I gave it
> up and want an alternative.  I have a usb postscript printer (Brother),
> and a PPD file. The hardware part is working, I just need a spooler, so
> the clients can send print jobs. What spoolers do you people using?
>
> If anyone interested in my painfull CUPS experience, here is the
> problem (maybe I'm missing something and there is still a solution?):
> In order to use Brother driver, I need foomatic-rip and
> foomatic-gswrapper (www.linuxprinting.org) In order to get
> foomatic-gswrapper to work, I have to install ESP Ghostscript. But
> there is no port for ESP Ghostscript and it wouldn't compile on my
> -stable :-(.
1) You are right: Installing CUPS can be a pain in the bum. If
you need it for some reasons I can forward you some emails, where the
usual problems are discussed.
2) If you have got a real postscript printer you can have a look
at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook - there is a section about
setting  up printers manually.
3) If you are looking for a program which takes care of the setup
problems for you, there is an alternative to Cups:
/usr/ports/print/apsfilter . Mind: Apsfilter asks you for some
options during installation. If you, p.ex., choose latex support
the build will take some time.

Good Luck,

Uli.