Newbie Graphic card question

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Thu Jan 22 08:42:21 PST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:05:52 +0100
Gafgo <nicolas.gafgo at bredband.net> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:23:31 +0100
> >Gafgo <nicolas.gafgo at bredband.net> wrote:
> >

> >>Hello. I am trying to install v 5.2 on my new computer. I have done
> >>succesful installations on my old computer where everything worked
> >>perfect. My problem now is that I can´t find my graphic card when I am
> >>conf Xfree86. I have a Asus (ATI) Radeon 9200 SE. When I try to start X
> >>it doesn´t work, even if I try vga generic and other settings. Is it so
> >>bad that I have to buy a new card or is there other sollutions?? I have
> >>looked at Xfree86.org driver section and my card isn´t mentioned even in
> >>their latest release.
> >>Hope that someone has an answer that will be cheaper than buying a new card.
> >>Many thanks Nicolas
> >>

> >http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status6.html#6

	^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

> >Bellow it's my X config; I'm using a Radeon 9000. The thing you are
> >after is: Driver "ati" in the Device section; or radeon might work.
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^
Try it. You'll know after :).

> Thank u. I hope that´s it but I am not sure because of the Xfree86 man
> Drivers:
>
>     Supported Hardware <cid:part1.05020704.04030400 at bredband.net>
>
> The *radeon* driver supports PCI and AGP video cards based on the
> following ATI chips

[..]

>     Unfortunately it doesn´t mention 9200........

Yup. When you try to run it with ati what does it print ?
Look for something like
(--) Chipset ATI Radeon 9000 If (AGP) found

>     Is there a list of cards that FreeBSD supports????
>     I can´t find it in the hardware support pages.

"XFree86, provides a client/server interface between display hardware
(the mouse, keyboard, and video displays) and the desktop environment
while also providing both the windowing infrastructure and a
standardized application interface (API)."

FreeBSD supports whatever XFree ( or other graphical server) supports; +
support for some things like dri that must be provided on the kernel
level (see /sys/i386/conf/NOTES for details).

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user