Root lost after KDE user manager change

Dany dany_list at natzo.com
Mon Jan 19 14:57:09 PST 2004

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:

>On 5.2, I install, startx, go in to the user manager and set my admin
>user created during installation to the wheel group, exit and save
>changes. Now I can't login as root after logging out. I think this
>happens no matter what changes you do in the user manager, once saved,
>root is gone. Does not show up in user list to start with. This is a
>brand new install, thank you, so I did it again just to be sure that was
>all I did. Is this well known?

there is a bug in Kuser, it resets the "expired flag" for all users. To
log in without root password you should :

While the system is booting and you see something like this:

Hit [ENTER} to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel] in 8 seconds.....

Hit any key except the enter key!
You should get a prompt. At the prompt, type:

 >unload all
 >load kernel
 >boot -s

Let the boot process continue until it asks you for a shell. Then just
hit Enter for 'sh'. At this time, only your root partition is mounted.
You will need to mount your /usr partition so you can use the 'passwd'
command. For example:

mount /dev/ad0s1c /usr

To make your root partition read-write, you will need to execute this
command:

mount -u /

The root partition should now be mounted read-write. Now you can use
'passwd' command to change the root password.

Edit /etc/master.passwd (using ee for example) and reset all the
"expiration flags" to 0 (they should show -1)
# passwd root
# pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

Then if I remember you can just type boot.

PS: I've collected the above information from forums and mailing lists.
Sorry for the lack of copyright notice.