mount and umount

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Mon Jan 19 15:13:41 PST 2004

Hi all,

Yes I have looked through the archives....

I have two drives.

da0 and da1

da0 is suppsed to dd to da1 each night.

here is the fstab...

# See the fstab(5) manual page for important information on automatic mounts
# of network filesystems before modifying this file.
#
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/da0s1g             /home           ufs     rw,userquota    2       2
/dev/da0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/da0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/da1s1a             /DA1            ufs     rw              0       0
/dev/da1s1g             /DA1/home       ufs     rw              0       0
/dev/da1s1f             /DA1/usr        ufs     rw              0       0
/dev/da1s1e             /DA1/var        ufs     rw              0       0

Sometime in the not to recent past, /DA1/var, usr and home became
dismounted, causing the dd to try to just write to the dirs on DA1 as oppsed
to the mounted filesystems. Needless to say, the root filesystem (on DA1)
ran out of room.

Now when I try to mount or dismount /DA1/var, home or user,

excelsior# mount /dev/da1s1e /DA1/var
mount: /dev/da1s1e: Device busy
excelsior#

excelsior# umount /DA1/var
umount: unmount of /DA1/var failed: Invalid argument
excelsior#

Nothing should be making the drive busy, and, how do I know what the invalid
arg is???

Any help would be appreciated!

-Grant