How to Select Compiler Version when Installing Port

Andrew Boothman andrew at cream.org
Thu Jan 15 09:29:33 PST 2004

Daniel J Cain Jr. wrote:

>>>I am trying to get vmailmgr-0.96.9 to build from the ports collection of
>>>FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE.  I 'think' it will work if I can have the port use
>>>a different compiler version during the build.  I have been unable to
>>>figure/find out how (if?) this is possible.  By default it seems to use
>>>gcc 3.2.2, and I have the port install of gcc 2.9.5 available I just
>>>don't know how to make 'make' use the older version.
>>
>>I usually use
>>
>>make CC=<your C compiler here> CXX=<your C++ compiler here> build
>

> Thanks!  That seems to have done the trick!

If you had to do a lot of work to make the port work, it would be
helpful if you contacted the maintainer of the port (look in the
Makefile) and told them what you had to do.

If there is no maintainer, the maintainer is ports@ or the maintainer
doesn't do anything about it you could consider packaging your work up
as a new port using the existing port as a starting point.

See the porting handbook on the FreeBSD web site.

Andrew