T1 / Dial-Up Software[Kind of long]

Ryan Moe ryan at say-10.net
Wed Jan 14 13:36:23 PST 2004

This doesn't necessarily pertain to FreeBSD(although it will depending
on what kind of answers I receive) but it's interesting nonetheless.  I
work for an ISP and one of the services we offer is dial-up internet.
Our 3COM hardware( the CSU/DSUs and the DSP cards)  is on its last legs
and requires frequent reboots.  I've noticed that you can purcahse T1
cards that support up to 4 T1 lines and contain the CSU/DSUs on them for
a few hundred dollars.  The problem is that you then have to get DSPs
for them and that raises the cost to around $5000.  For $5000 we can get
more shitty 3COM hardware than we'd know what to do with, so thats not a
good solution.  I was thinking, why can't the DSPs be emulated?  Does
anybody know of any software that will emulate some number of DSPs(92
would be the max for 4 T1 lines) and interface them with a CSU/DSU?  If
no software exists what brand of hardware do you recommend for this type
of application.  There seems to be only about 6 companies that make this
stuff and none of them seem that great.  I appreciate any feedback I
recieve.

Thanks,
Ryan