How "safe" is 5.2 to use?

Micheas Herman micheas at freep.org
Tue Jan 13 15:32:51 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 14:02, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> "David Meier" <meier at logmail.net> writes:
>
> > I am relatively new to the world of FreeBSD. But first, congrats to the
> > new release! I am somewhat insecure on how trustfully I can use the new
> > release for my intended use (and I hope my questions haven't been posted a
> > zillion times before). Therefore I hope the FreeBSD nuts can advise me
> > whether to go for 4.9 or 5.2.
>
> Yes.  Um, wait, maybe I'll have more-useful advice after more details.
>
> > The setup:
> > hardware: DELL PowerEdge 1750 (Dual XEON, 2GB RAM, RAID 1).

        Double check your RAID controler.
        SMP may or may not be production ready.  It was a problem at one
        point. under a certain condition. I don't have any SMP boxes so
        I haven't paid much attention.

> > web server: Apache 2.0, MySQL 4.0, PHP 4.3.4, Perl 5.8
> > mail server: Postfix, Cyrus IMAPd, Cyrus SASL, Amavis-new, SpamAssassin,
> > ClamAV

        Apache 2.0 will like FreeBSD 5.x better, AFAIK I don't think any
        of the other apps will care one way or the other.

Micheas Herman              email: micheas at freep.org
Free Print Shop             web:   http://www.FreePrintShop.org
phone: (415)648-3222        fax:   (415)648-4466