Confused about sound servers

T Kellers kellers at njit.edu
Fri Jan 2 12:06:34 PST 2004

Don't use both device pcm and the .ko modules.  The sound won't work at all
or, if it does, not properly.  You may not even have any keyboard beeps
(^G's) if both are loaded.

Get rid of the device pcm and just load the modules.

KDE comes with artsd as it's sound server; some people love it, some people
hate it and some people (like me) both love and hate it :)

Make sure you are loading the correct .ko file for your card, I'm not sure
that snd_emu10k.ko is the correct one, but I could be wrong.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT