Confused about sound servers

Eric F Crist ecrist at adtechintegrated.com
Fri Jan 2 13:42:22 PST 2004

On Friday 02 January 2004 02:06 pm, T Kellers wrote:
> Don't use both device pcm and the .ko modules.  The sound won't work at all
> or, if it does, not properly.  You may not even have any keyboard beeps
> (^G's) if both are loaded.

I find I only add the device pcm line to my kernel and everything works fine.
Gnome, KDE, console beeps.  Everything works and I don't usually worry about
the sound servers.  When you install one of the window managers, as long as
you install the multimedia package, the correct sound server gets installed
too.  This has been working for me for about 5 years now.

HTH

--
Eric F Crist
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc