OpenLdap client

Konrad Heuer kheuer2 at gwdg.de
Sun Feb 29 23:03:58 PST 2004

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 falaki at ce.sharif.edu wrote:

> Hello;
>         My FreeBSD 4.9 server has to authenticate it's users through Openldap
> client from a Linux server. I have installed openldap-client-2.1.22 and
> pam_ldap-1.6.4. The ldapsearch gives the correct answer when it is
> invoked with necessary arguments.
>         I tried to configure pam.conf so that is uses pam_ldap.so for
> authentication and I tested many cases ( changing the arguments and
> things like this) but nobody can log in. I want to know if other things
> except pam.conf must be configured and if pam.conf must be configured can
> anybody send me a sample.

Sorry to say, but FreeBSD 4.9 doesn't support LDAP the way you want. You
can authenticate users with pam_ldap for other purposes, but not for a
shell login. 4.9 still lacks nss support which is essential.

5.2-RELEASE which is completely dynamically linked is the first release
with full ldap login support.

Best regards

Konrad Heuer (kheuer2 at gwdg.de)  ____            ___  _______
Germany