chrooted ssh/scp

Michael Clark MClark at Nemschoff.com
Mon Feb 2 08:13:55 PST 2004

sshd2 will do this and if you read the license I believe it is legal to use
for most users.

Else you can use sudo to make a ssh chroot.
google groups has some explainations of how to do this.

Michael Clark
Nemschoff Chairs Inc
mclark at nemschoff dot com
CompTIA A+, MCP
Voice: (920) 457 7726 x294
Fax:  (920) 453 6594

-----Original Message-----
From: Lowell Gilbert [mailto:freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 8:11 AM
To: Evan Sayer
Cc: freebsd-questions at freeBSD.org
Subject: Re: chrooted ssh/scp

Evan Sayer <esayer1 at san.rr.com> writes:

> Does anyone know how to make it so that users can ssh in and get a
> normal shell or scp in and get or send files but only within their own
> home directories via chroot?

The commercial ssh server has that capability built in, but the free
ones don't, last I checked.  You should be able to hook up jail(8) or
chroot(8) to the account itself, though...

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This electronic transmission, including all
attachments, is directed in confidence solely to the person(s) to whom it is
addressed, or an authorized recipient, and may not otherwise be distributed,
copied or disclosed. The contents of the transmission may also be subject to
intellectual property rights and all such rights are expressly claimed and
are not waived. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return electronic transmission and then
immediately delete this transmission, including all attachments, without
copying, distributing or disclosing same.