ACPI and APM on 5.3

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Fri Dec 31 19:09:25 PST 2004

doug at safeport.com wrote:
> In attempting to get sound working on a Dell 7500 Inspiron (cira 1994) I tried
> many combinations of ACPI and APM thinking that my sound problems stemmed from
> interrupt or irq/pnp problems. That turned out not to be the case. Now
> everything is working, but I am using a combination of the two as documented
> below.
>
> Did I just 'luck out' or does apmd (sorta) by design work with the environment
> it finds?
>
> -------------------------
> /boot/loader.conf
>   snd_maestro_load="YES"
>
> /etc/rc.conf
>   apm_enable="YES"
>   apmd_enable="YES"
>
> kldstat
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>  1    9 0xc0400000 5cdad0   kernel
>  2    1 0xc09ce000 7200     snd_maestro.ko
>  3    2 0xc09d6000 1d4fc    sound.ko
>  4   14 0xc09f4000 537f0    acpi.ko
>  5    1 0xc1690000 17000    linux.ko
>
> So apm.ko is not loaded. However everything works. I got to this configuration
> by accident (i.e., I forgot rc.conf). 'apm -l' works, 'apm -z' works and I can
> resume okay.

FWIW...
I have experienced the same thing on my Dell Inspiron 5100.  I'm not
currently running it that way, but was. Until I read that ACPI and APM
will not run together.  Supposedly the last one up notices the first and
bails.  So I opted for ACPI... which has left me wishing I was back with
both even though they are not supposed to work together.

I'm interested too, in other's opinions/explanations of this phenomenon.

> _____
> Douglas Denault
> http://www.safeport.com
> doug at safeport.com