ACPI and APM on 5.3

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Thu Dec 30 17:32:20 PST 2004

In attempting to get sound working on a Dell 7500 Inspiron (cira 1994) I tried
many combinations of ACPI and APM thinking that my sound problems stemmed from
interrupt or irq/pnp problems. That turned out not to be the case. Now
everything is working, but I am using a combination of the two as documented
below.

Did I just 'luck out' or does apmd (sorta) by design work with the environment
it finds?

-------------------------
/boot/loader.conf
  snd_maestro_load="YES"

/etc/rc.conf
  apm_enable="YES"
  apmd_enable="YES"

kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    9 0xc0400000 5cdad0   kernel
 2    1 0xc09ce000 7200     snd_maestro.ko
 3    2 0xc09d6000 1d4fc    sound.ko
 4   14 0xc09f4000 537f0    acpi.ko
 5    1 0xc1690000 17000    linux.ko

So apm.ko is not loaded. However everything works. I got to this configuration
by accident (i.e., I forgot rc.conf). 'apm -l' works, 'apm -z' works and I can
resume okay.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com