make.conf file & CPUTYPE?

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 18:46:12 PST 2004

<snip>

The "?" is required onlyif you build a kernel for one architecture on a
different architecture. For example, you try to build a kernel for a P1 on a
P4 box. You would be better of with CPUTYPE=i686 or more precisely something
like CPUTYPE=p3 (in case you are building the world/kernel) for a Pentium
III system. And I wuld recommend to leave the same in make.conf even after
completion of the building because, all subsequent builds would be optimized
for the processor mentioned in CPUTYPE

Regards,
S.

Indian Institute of Information Technology
Subhro Sankha Kar
Block AQ-13/1, Sector V
Salt Lake City
PIN 700091