triple monitor hardware setup on FBSD - suggestions needed...

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 17:45:51 PST 2004

I am currently running a triple-monitor setup under
winXP, with an extended desktop that stretches across
all three monitors.  I like it.

I would, however, like to use FreeBSD.

So, first off, what hardware (video card) comes to
mind for doing triple screens with FreeBSD ?  A matrox
P750 comes to mind, but when you run it with three
screens, they downgrade to 1280x1024, which is bad.  I
am happy to consider multiple video cards to
accomplish this ... at the very least I need 1600x1200
out of each card, preferably 1920x1200 ...

Second, what is the support for something like this in
XFree86, or x.org ?  What I am really looking for is
the ability to create virtually sized screens - so
instead of having three total (physical) screens that
I can maximize windows inside of, I want to split each
physical screen in half for a total of 6 virtual
screens - so there are six total areas within which I
can maximize a window in ... this is something I am
really trying to accomplish.

thanksy!