migrating from thunderbird to mutt?

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Tue Dec 21 09:59:09 PST 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 07:15 am, Matthias Buelow
<mkb at mukappabeta.de> wrote:
> cpghost at cordula.ws wrote:
> > esmtp will contact the appropriate SMTP server on your behalf
> > and will use the correct credentials to connect (if required).
>
> What happens if sending fails (for whatever temporary reason)?  Will
> esmtp queue the mail, like a real MTA would?  The issue is
> problematic with all those "minimalistic" pseudo-MTAs because mutt
> thinks it's delivering to a real sendmail, and hence doesn't handle
> failure gracefully (at least not afair).  Mozilla otoh, initiating
> the smtp connection by itself, will let you retry, or save it to a
> Drafts folder. With mutt, your mail is probably gone.

I just wanted to follow up on this. What actually happens in this case
is that the email is saved in the postponed folder (if it's defined).
It can be recalled and re-sent fairly simply, much like the behavior in
most MUAs - Mutt will even prompt you to send it if you forget. I found
out after testing Mutt with esmtp and a non-working network connection,
which I thought was working at the time.

- jt