migrating from thunderbird to mutt?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Dec 21 03:05:03 PST 2004

On 2004-12-20 09:32, Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig at spymac.com> wrote:
> On Monday 20 December 2004 08:41 am, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > So, why do people fear real MTAs so much and try to do their work
> > with "light, fast, broken, almost-there MTAs"?
>
> As for me, it's because my box is in a LAN with a router using a dynamic
> IP, so I can't get a fully-qualified domain name.

You can always install a local DNS server that allows 'internal'
machines to use their own domain (only visible to internal hosts) but
forwards all other requests to your ISPs name servers.

> This also causes some minor issues with fbsd, but not so much that I
> can't work with it. As for using Sendmail as the MTA just so Mutt can
> pass off email to an SMTP server, I've tried configuring it for weeks
> now, and I'm still not there.

You have to solve the DNS problems first.  Sendmail, like all MTAs I've
seen, depends on a working DNS setup.

> I may end up using esmtp if it can save some headaches, although I
> purposely tried to get Sendmail to work so that I could do it the
> "right" way. Well, I still want to learn, but it's one of the most
> confusing and frustrating experiences I've ever had dealing with
> software, and I'm not alone in this.

This list is frequented by many knowledgeable people who can help you
with setting up Sendmail on FreeBSD.  You may be pointed at README files
like `/usr/share/sendmail/cf/README' from time to time, but it never
hurts to ask :-)

> *That's* why people fear "real" MTAs so much, because mail transfer
> protocols and software at the low level is very complicated and
> extremely finicky in ways that aren't documented clearly.

I see.  You do have a point there :/