Getting back my shell is slow, Eterm/bash

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Dec 19 12:52:44 PST 2004

cpghost at cordula.ws wrote:

> I've noticed this too, but not only with the console. Just wild
> guessing: the scheduler needs a long time to wake up processes
> that have been swapped out. I don't know if this bug has been (completely)
> fixed yet, 'cause I have no machine that I could upgrade right now.
>
> Just check if the sleepy shell has been swapped out before. This bug has
> been often reported in disguise (X takes long time to exit, ssh takes
> long time to connect, whatever). It's often not the exiting process'
> fault, but the swapped out parent's or daemon's long wakeup latency.
>
> But again, I'm just wildguessing. This bug may well have been fixed
> since last time I've cvsup-ed.

Thanks, at least I have a good explanation that doesn't suggest I am
just overlooking the obvious :-) I have only noticed it under X, and
only with the shell, and only when terminating some program started from
the console.

But, I'll be patient and try another update :-)

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt