freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 83, Issue 24

Zachary Huang bees.msu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 08:06:18 PST 2004

Joshua,

Thanks for your answers.

> It sounds like your src tree needs to be cleaned up (# rm -rf /usr/src/*)

is this safe to do? do I clean up it before 'upgrading' to my 4.2 CD?
perhaps safer to rename it first?

> and that you should read the Handbook chapter on using cvsup, write
> yourself a src-supfile, or use one of the examples, and then follow the
> well-documented procedure for upgrading your system from source.

I read the book, did  a cvsup to 4.2 (hoping to overwite the 'new'
stuff with the original stuff), tried make buildworld, same error.
Today I rebooted with a 4.2 CD, did 'upgrade', but it refuses to
upgrade /usr/src (as usual), now I can ssh to the host, but ftp does
not work, I got:

Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||49153|)

I now know how to get cvsup to work, but still I do not understand the
difference between cvsup vs. buying a CD.  Is buying a CD easier to
upgrade to a new release?

happy holidays,

Zach