Is this a sign of memory going bad?

Sandy Rutherford sandy at krvarr.bc.ca
Fri Dec 3 02:57:02 PST 2004

If the goal is simply to stress-test the memory, just take a huge file
and write a shell script loop to gzip it and ungzip it ad infinitum.
I used this technique a while ago to ferret out some memory problems.
In this case, the bad memory manifested itself as gzip eventually
reporting an error that the file was corrupted.  I'm not saying that
this is a fool-proof way of finding bad memory, but it did the job at
the time.

Sandy