Is this a sign of memory going bad?

Chris Dillon cdillon at wolves.k12.mo.us
Thu Dec 2 10:53:49 PST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I don't want to embarrass anyone here, but something needs to be
> said. Note this next sentence carefully: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A
> WORKING MEMORY TEST PROGRAM!!!
>
> Anyone who tells you otherwise is no friend of yours, because they
> are making your life hard.  It's very alluring to assume that
> programs written to do a job actually do that job, and most
> especially in the case of memory test, one would *really* **REALLY**
> wish that Chuck here was lying, cause you honestly need a memory
> test program, but the truth is otherwise: memory test programs don't
> work.  At the very best, if they spend 30 minutes carefully
> exercising memory, you get a factor that is maybe 10% reliable, and
> 90% wishful guessing.
>
> With that in mind, sometimes, the very best memory test programs can
> give you better ideas that memory you thought was failing IS
> failing.  The opposite, proving that memory is good, is just
> totally, totally useless, you cannot take any data home at all about
> your memory being good.

The memory-test programs are not entirely worthless.  Just recently we
had a lab of PCs where some of them would go wonky and randomly lock
up hard.  This was happening for months and we couldn't put our finger
on the problem.  We thought maybe it was something in our Windows
build, so we tried booting Microsoft's stand-alone memory tester (yes,
they have one, and I'm not sure where I got it, MSDN perhaps?), very
similar to memtest86.  After a random number of test passes, sometimes
100+ passes (many hours, overnight), some of the machines would lock
up.  No errors indicated, they just froze.  Oops.  Definately NOT a
software problem.  After fiddling around with some of the
clock/voltage related BIOS settings, putting new thermal compound
between the CPUs and heatsinks, reseating cards and memory, placing
the PCs inside a hexagram drawn on the floor and dancing nak...
nevermind... we got them to run the tests continuously through our
entire 4-day Thanksgiving weekend without problems.  For the last 4
days (including today), we haven't had any problems with them.

So, these memtest programs can at least be valuable stress-testing
tools but be prepared to run them for hours or days at a time before
they will catch something. :-)

--
  Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
  FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?