ssh question

Volker Kindermann ml at ps102.de
Wed Aug 25 13:02:55 PDT 2004

> > After modifying the sshd.conf to allow my new IP access via ssh I
> > can't connect.  I have stopped and restarted the service and the
> > server and double
>
> 'Allow your new ip address' ?
>
> What you can specify on /etc/ssh/sshd_config is the ip the server
> binds to, not the ip addresses of the clients connecting. (your words
> suggest you did this) - reconfigure your sshd_config to the old value
> (your ip address, or 0.0.0.0) and re-start sshd.
>
> To limit access to the sshd, use a firewall, like ipfw , pf , or
> ipfilter.

in addition you can actually limit access to the sshd with the keywords
AllowUsers and AllowGroups with the corresponding user/group _names_
(not uid/gid!!!).

But there's no option to do this ip-based (this is possible with
packetfilters or tcp-wrapper).

Do a "netstat -na|grep LISTEN|grep 22" to prove on which IP your
ssh-Server is listening.

 -volker