laptop pccard ethernet

mark rowlands mark.rowlands at mypost.se
Mon Aug 23 03:48:23 PDT 2004

Good

> it seems that altho it boots and recognises the PCMCIA ethernet
> card, that it never successfully executes the ifconfig for
> IP number and gateway.

bad

> I have to enter these two commands manually _after_ it completes
> booting, and all ethernet activities are fine after that.

tiresome

> is it possible that during the booting sequence the PC card
> recognition is too late in the process?

yes
> Are the rc.conf command
> line entries "order specific". (I always thought that they are noa)t.

no

> Any tips would be appreciated
>
> Jim
> --

1) posting your rc.conf, and card details and the relevant bits of dmesg
would help.

But long time since I ran 4.x on my laptop but istr

man pccardd

will tell you about the -z flag

which will delay daemonizing  pccard until it has probed
and attatched to your card
and a quick snoop around /etc/defaults/rc.conf
would tell you about pccard_ifconfig="NO"
which I think you either need to set to "DHCP"
or something like
pccard_ifconfig="inet 192.168.12.100 netmask 255.255.255.0"