Building rescue/recovery cds

Matthew Crowe flint at virtualflu.com
Mon Aug 23 04:59:02 PDT 2004

Hi all,

This may not exactly be a Freebsd related question.. but.. here goes =)

I wanted to make a Freebsd-based cd that would enable restoring of a
FAT32 or NTFS filesystem.  I know Windows includes things to do this,
but I wanted to use unix and build some nifty scripts to do it all
automatically (this is designed to restore systems for really computer
stupid people).  I've already made the programs to restore the images..
but.. I can't ever seem to get a working fbsd boot cd.   I found one
system called RIP, but it was mainly for Linux (and I really wanted it
to be fbsd, as I know it a lot better!).  Is there an easy way to make a
bootable freebsd recovery disk?  I tried hacking the 5.2.1- bootonly
disk, but I couldn't ever figure out how to get it re-burned and allow
for booting.

If anyone has any experence in doing something like this, let me know!  =)

Thank you