dell 400sc scsi and 4.10 install

Jeanne techielists at regionalhelpwanted.com
Mon Aug 16 12:59:25 PDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:51:19 -0500
David Kelly <dkelly at HiWAAY.net> wrote:

> The mpt(4) driver in 5.2.1 (thats what I have, guessing its pretty much
> the same for your 4.10) says it supports the 53c1030 Dual Ultra320
> SCSI. Also says it first appeared in FreeBSD 4.6. I don't have this
> SCSI adapter.

The dell BIOS is mpt boot ROM.
sysinstall boot shows:

mpt0:<LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 adapter> ...irq10 at device 1.0 on pci2
mpt1:<LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 adapter> ...irq10 at device 1.1 on pci2
pci2:<unknown card> at 12.0 irq9
da0 at mpt1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0 <Fugitsu..> Fixed direct acess SCSI-3 device

This level of hardware troubleshooting leaves me scratching my head. Does it seem that the mpt driver is working correctly?

And of course I get the same errors that Jerry was getting,
|write error: 128
|newfs: wtfs - writecombine - Input/output error

Well unless some good hardware folks can suggest a fix I'm going to either have to ship this back or just throw an ide hardrive in it and put the lsi controller in the spare parts box. At least there is some good documentation on it in the archives if someone does a search on 400SC and freebsd before they make a purchase.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Jeanne

> Don't believe I noticed how much memory your system has. The Dell BIOS
> has an "OS installation mode" which greatly truncates the amount of
> memory appearing in the system. For all I know that might prevent
> mpt(4) from operating reliably. F2 after boot and check which state
> this BIOS setting is using. "What the heck?" Try it the other way.

The BIOS shows that I have a full 512MB.