dell 400sc scsi and 4.10 install

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Mon Aug 16 11:51:29 PDT 2004

On Aug 16, 2004, at 12:34 PM, Jeanne wrote:

> Jerry - thanks for the response. I did see your comments on the
> situation you describe below, sorry that you had to say the same thing
> twice. But I was/am confused, because I'm not using SATA. I am using
> the LSILogic scsi controller card. Am I correct in understanding that
> the LSILogic Ultra320 scsi controller is not supported in FreeBSD?
> Sorry for the confusion. This is the first trouble I've ever had with
> a Dell (IDE or SCSI).
>
> Can anyone confirm that the lsilogic ultra320 scsi controller just
> wont work at all, or just won't work in 4.10. Is there maybe some way
> to emulate an adaptec card or something like that?

The mpt(4) driver in 5.2.1 (thats what I have, guessing its pretty much
the same for your 4.10) says it supports the 53c1030 Dual Ultra320
SCSI. Also says it first appeared in FreeBSD 4.6. I don't have this
SCSI adapter.

As for SATA on the 400SC, the MB SATA interface works fine for me in
5.2.1-p9 altho its installed on PATA, SATA only has data.

Don't believe I noticed how much memory your system has. The Dell BIOS
has an "OS installation mode" which greatly truncates the amount of
memory appearing in the system. For all I know that might prevent
mpt(4) from operating reliably. F2 after boot and check which state
this BIOS setting is using. "What the heck?" Try it the other way.

I am having problems with my 400SC failing to reboot. With ACPI enabled
dmesg output appears cleaner than without but "shutdown -r now" appears
to go all the way down to BIOS but doesn't turn around and come back
up. At least it doesn't now, but did the first few days I was beating
on the machine to make sure it was suitable. Seems to have happened
when the Seagate 40G PATA drive was replaced with a Hitachi 120G PATA
drive. Swapping back to the Seagate didn't fix the problem.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net