Top posting solution

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Aug 10 19:02:13 PDT 2004

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2004-08-10 18:14, JJB <Barbish3 at adelphia.net> wrote:
[ ...badly quoted stuff... ]
> I apologize in advance if I jump in in what might sound like a
> knit-picking manner.  However, if this "fix" produces messages like the
> one above, where all the usual mutilation of Outlook regarding quoting
> and wrapping the text is clearly visible...
>
> it's not a fix :-(

Giorgos-- it would be reasonable to assume that JJB was using the tool he
speaks of, only that would not be correct; oe-quotefix doesn't work with
Outlook itself:

] From: JJB <Barbish3 at adelphia.net>
] Subject: RE: Top posting solution

[ Only someone condemned to support Windows users would want to understand the
relationship between Outlook and OE in more detail, so suffice it to say that
the two are much more different than one might expect from the shared name. ]

Anyway, the oe-quotefix utility actually does do a pretty good job of fixing
the braindead quoting of Outlook Express.  But I'd much rather use Mozilla
than Outlook from the standpoints of both security and only mildly broken mail
composition by comparision.  But then, I'd rather use Mail.app than Mozilla.
For that matter, I'd rather use Emacs with fill-mode on and fill-column set to
76-- for two levels of quoting and a space to fit into 80-cols without
wrapping-- to actually compose ASCII text than anything else.

oe-quotefix behaves very much like what M-q (fill-paragraph) does in Emacs.

--
-Chuck