Problem: ipf - /dev/kmem errors

Dave Patterson dave at rocsculptr.net
Tue Aug 10 13:23:50 PDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I'm currently using a generic pc running, that is acting as a router. The
routing works fine, but ipfilter does not.
Pentium III (801.82-MHz 686-class CPU)
memory  = (128 MB)

5.2-CURRENT #1

here is part of my kernel config file :
>--snip--<
# IPF stuff
options         PFIL_HOOKS              # pfil(9) framework
options         IPFILTER
options         IPFILTER_LOG
options         INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity
checking
>--snip--<

the kernel seems to load the module {from dmesg}
IP Filter: v3.4.35 initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled

yet when I try and verify which rulesets are loaded, I get kmem errors.

# ipfstat
ioctl(SIOCGETFS): Invalid argument
openkmem:open: No such file or directory

I did read that in 5.x /dev/kmem was changed/removed for security, if
thats the case what is the facility that ipfilter uses ?

thanks for any help,