Remote Single User Mode.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Apr 10 03:30:23 PDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 06:03:48AM -0400, Grant Peel wrote:

> I have 4 servers in Toronto (I live in London, about 120 miles south). Most admin I can do remotely of course, but I was wondering, if there exists a software/hardware solution that might actually allow one to reboot any one of the machines remotely and alllow access in single user mode. Obviously, that machine would not be accessable via the normal netwrk method, but again, is there a KVM - software that would allow local access in single user mode VIA a network connection to one of the other servers, or the KVM directly?

The device you're looking for is a 'Console Server'.  There are any
number of such devices available off the shelf -- Lantronix makes some
reasonably good ones.

However, if you don't want to spend money, you can daisy-chain your
FreeBSD boxes together using null-modem cables between the serial
ports and use tip(1) as a terminal emulator. In any case you need to
make your servers use a serial port as the system console:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way